Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts


Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts is a Weekly Meme hosted by Christine @ Bookishly  Boisterous.

Happy Thursday Bookdragons! I hope everyone survived Christmas and got everything they wished for.

1. Sometimes I wish I could go back to being book-blind. What I mean is, before I was a book blogger or bookstagrammer I could walk into a bookstore without pressure, browse the aisles and pick out books that called out to me without having any prior impression of them (unless they were a continuation of a series I'd been reading). Now I'm always influenced by blogs I've read, publisher newsletters / ARC sign-ups, posts I've seen on instagram. Sometimes I wonder if I read certain books because I want to read them or because everyone else had read it and is raving. And I'm an odd duck. Yeah - the book everyone hates on? I probably love it. The book everyone gushes about? Yeah - I probably couldn't get past the first page. Sometimes I wish I could quit it all - the reviews, the deadlines, the expectations - and read for me again.

2. Christmas was pretty good all around, I can't complain. I went a bit overboard buying for myself but I managed a few surprises with my Fairyloot & Unicorn Book Boxes. Fairyloot remains a favorite but Unicorn Crate was nice also.

3. I got my grandmother's cat, Houdini, a little chick stuffed toy that chirps... and I didn't realize how sensitive it was going to be. You barely have to touch it for it to chirp. And Houdini touches it. All. Night. Long. 

4. Vikings was awesomely violent last night! I know, I know - that sounds awful of me to say but its my favorite show and they do a great job with the battle scenes. 

5. I cannot believe the people terrified by Netflix's BIRD BOX. We watched it on Christmas and I loved it! I've been in a post-apocalyptic mood lately after The Hallowed Ones and Pestilence so Bird Box was right up my alley. I didn't find it scary at all, but it takes a loooooottttttt to scare me. But 1/2 the people I talk to were scared $#!+|3$$.

6. My current read is Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman and I was hooked from the beginning. I just hope it stays that way. I've been in and out of slumps all month.

7. I seem to run on a different temperature than everyone else. My grandmother keeps saying she's warm but I'm so, so cold!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yes, now I'm also recalling how I selected books in pre-blogging days. It was wonderful! I had a favorite bookstore where I lingered...they also served coffee. I would head for the pile of new books and pick them up, one by one.

    But...I also love being able to click on over to Amazon and find a book that others love. I don't necessarily enjoy the books others do, either. I see a lot of fantasy and Sci-Fi on blogs, but I prefer mysteries and thrillers.

    I was a little scared by Bird Box, mostly because I imagined having to live like that. Not for me!

    Houdini's chirping chick would drive me nuts...it might remind me of crickets, which are so annoying when one comes in the house. LOL.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY BOOKISH & NOT SO BOOKISH THOUGHTS

    ReplyDelete

Read NIGHT OF TERROR