Saturday, May 22, 2021

{Audiobook Review} THE LAST FINAL GIRL by Stephen Graham Jones

 


The Last Final Girl
Standalone
Stephen Graham Jones
Horror
216 Pages

Blurb:
"The Last Final Girl is like Quentin Tarantino's take on The Cabin in the Woods. Bloody, absurd, and smart. Plus, there's a killer in a Michael Jackson mask." - Carlton Mellick III, author of Apeshit

Life in a slasher film is easy. You just have to know when to die.

Aerial View: A suburban town in Texas. Everyone's got an automatic garage door opener. All the kids jump off a perilous cliff into a shallow river as a rite of passage. The sheriff is a local celebrity. You know this town. You're from this town.

Zoom In: Homecoming princess, Lindsay. She's just barely escaped death at the hands of a brutal, sadistic murderer in a Michael Jackson mask. Up on the cliff, she was rescued by a horse and bravely defeated the killer, alone, bra-less. Her story is already a legend. She's this town's heroic final girl, their virgin angel.

Monster Vision: Halloween masks floating down that same river the kids jump into. But just as one slaughter is not enough for Billie Jean, our masked killer, one victory is not enough for Lindsay. Her high school is full of final girls, and she's not the only one who knows the rules of the game.

When Lindsay chooses a host of virgins, misfits, and former final girls to replace the slaughtered members of her original homecoming court, it's not just a fight for survival-it's a fight to become The Last Final Girl.

My Review:

This was my first book by Stephen Graham Jones although I've seen his books recommended by booksellers before and added them to my TBR.

 The Last Final Girl is a satirical homage (in my opinion) to the campy 80s horror that fans know and love. If you like movies like Scream and Friday the 13th I think you'll really like this book because it reminded me of elements of both. 

The way it reads (or is told as I listened to the audiobook) is like you are watching a movie that pans from one character's perspective to another. It is like you're watching a movie, and I love how that was done because I enjoy books that are unconventional. 

The cast of characters are a mixture of what you'd normally find in a horror movie along with a bunch of unlikely heroine types. The one thing I didn't get was the Billie Jean thing (as I am neither a fan of Michael Jackson or a child of the 80s) so I had to look it up. 

If you like the horror genre and know it's not to be taken seriously, you'll enjoy this book. I didn't really find it scary which is why I think of it more as satirical horror.  I recommend listening to the audiobook!

My Rating:
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
4.75 of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR