Monday, June 21, 2021

{Book Review} ESCAPING FROM HOUDINI by Kerri Maniscalco

 


Escaping From Houdini
Stalking Jack the Ripper Book 3
Kerri Maniscalco
YA Historical Crime Fiction
437 Pages

Blurb:
Audrey Rose Wadsworth and her partner-in-crime-investigation, Thomas Cresswell, are en route to New York to help solve another blood-soaked mystery. Embarking on a week-long voyage across the Atlantic on the opulent RMS Etruria, they’re delighted to discover a traveling troupe of circus performers, fortune tellers, and a certain charismatic young escape artist entertaining the first-class passengers nightly.

But then, privileged young women begin to go missing without explanation, and a series of brutal slayings shocks the entire ship. The disturbing influence of the Moonlight Carnival pervades the decks as the murders grow ever more freakish, with nowhere to escape except the unforgiving sea.

It's up to Audrey Rose and Thomas to piece together the gruesome investigation as even more passengers die before reaching their destination. But with clues to the next victim pointing to someone she loves, can Audrey Rose unravel the mystery before the killer's horrifying finale?

My Review:

This is one of my less favorite books in the series. While I love Stalking Jack the Ripper and Hunting Prince Dracula, Escaping From Houdini doesn't sit well with me.

I love the carnival aspect of the book, and even the murders keep the reader interested in seeing. what is going to happen next and who the killer will be unveiled to be. I also liked that the author added in facts about Harry Houdini's life throughout the book, like the fact that he lived in Appleton, Wisconsin (since I live about 30 miles from there). 

What I didn't like about the book? Audrey Rose's behavior. I know she was trying to be undercover or detach her emotions or something (the explanation makes zero sense to me) but the way she treats Thomas throughout the book really puts me off. Her seeming personality shift also is off-putting to me. It made me at the time, and now as I'm rereading, unsure if I wanted to read the fourth and final book. 

Overall, if you're looking for another dazzling, chilling murder investigation for Audrey Rose and Thomas to uncover, you'll enjoy this book - if you can get past Audrey referring to Thomas as just her "friend" and chasing after the ringleader, Mephistopheles, like a love-sick puppy. 

My Rating:
🌟🌟🌟🌟
3.75 of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR