Monday, August 30, 2021

{Book Review} A TOUCH OF DARKNESS by Scarlett St. Clair

  

A Touch of Darkness
Hades & Persephone Book 1
Scarlett St. Clair
Released: May 23, 2019
299 Pages

Blurb:
A Modern Hades and Persephone Retelling

Persephone is the Goddess of Spring by title only. The truth is, since she was a little girl, flowers have shriveled at her touch. After moving to New Athens, she hopes to lead an unassuming life disguised as a mortal journalist.

Hades, God of the Dead, has built a gambling empire in the mortal world and his favorite bets are rumored to be impossible.

After a chance encounter with Hades, Persephone finds herself in a contract with the God of the Dead and the terms are impossible: Persephone must create life in the Underworld or lose her freedom forever.

The bet does more than expose Persephone’s failure as a goddess, however. As she struggles to sow the seeds of her freedom, love for the God of the Dead grows—and it’s forbidden.

My Review:

I finally decided to pick up this book after seeing it so much on Bookstagram. I was afraid I wouldn't like it but I love the Hades and Persephone myth so much I had to give it a try. And I'm so glad I did!

It was interesting seeing this take on Persephone's relationship with her mother, Demeter. It's definitely unlike any other retelling I've read. This Persephone was kept really sheltered by her cruel, controlling mother until she left Olympus to attend college in New Athens in this awesome urban fantasy world where the Greek gods are modern day celebrities.

Persephone was warned by her mother to stay away from the gods, especially Hades, whom her mother hates. But when her friend gets on the list to go to Hades's club and she makes conversation with a handsome stranger Persephone finds herself face to face with the feared god himself. And in an iron-clad contract with Hades to create life in the Underworld. But Persephone is unable to grow anything and fears she will be stuck in the Underworld forever. 

I loved Hades and Persephone's chemistry, it was such a sexy read and I loved watching their relationship develop from Persephone hating and not trusting Hades to where they were at the end. I also really liked Hecate and the other characters we meet in the Underworld. 

I also really enjoyed the world building in this book and the modern spin on one of my favorite greek myths. 

I couldn't get enough of this book and I can't wait to see what will happen to my new favorite couple in book 2!

My Rating:

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
5 of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR