Friday, July 24, 2015

Your First Royalty Check as A Published Author: The Real Story

      Okay, so your book has been released and you've been working your butt off to promote yourself and your novel. You're extremely proud of yourself and you hope you're selling lots of copies and gaining lots of new fans.

    It's coming close to your first royalty payment from your small independent publisher and you are so excited. You aren't so concerned with how much you've earned but how many people are now walking around with a copy of your novel on their Nook or Kindle. After all, your novel is kind of like your baby and you've worked hard to get to this point even thought you know that you won't become the next Meg Cabot of Stephen King overnight. 

    The day finally comes and your first royalty payment arrives (a week or so late... okay two or three months late, but who's counting?). You quickly open the royalty report and scan the contents. 


    What? That can't be right! Only 6 copies sold? How can that be? You've been working so hard! And since your publisher takes 75% of the earnings and you get the other 25% you've earned... $4.72. 

    Wow. You can't pay rent with $4.72. Or buy groceries. Or even a tank of gasoline. You get to wondering: What can I buy with $4.72?

     Let's see:
            - 3.65 Songs on Itunes at $1.29 a piece
            - 3/4 of a Venti Java Chip Frappuccino at Starbucks
            - 1/2 a Month's Subscription to Netflix on the $7.99, 1 disc per month plan
            - 1 ounce of Bumble and Bumble Super Rich Conditioner from Sephora
            - 18 Chicken McNuggets from McDonalds
            - 8 cans of Fancy Feast Wet Cat Food
                                  AND
            - One Rubber Rat to stick in your publisher's lunch break refrigerator. 

                         (Just Kidding About the Rat Part!)

     

       Welcome to the world of publishing and being an Indie Author! Don't forget to Promote! Promote! Promote! 

        If anyone is out there reading this help me keep the cross-eyed cat fed! 

Buy The Haunting Love:


Preorder Finding Elizabeth:


2 comments:

  1. I will take the 3/4 frappaccino, please. Nice post. Thanks for participating in Sunday Writers Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoy participating in your Sunday Writers Link Party

      Delete