Friday, November 6, 2015

Surviving Week One of NaNoWriMo

     Alright.. so it's midnight on November 1st. Halloween is officially over (sob) and its now the beginning of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). You have your pens/pencils/notebooks/laptop at the ready and its time to start writing! Right?
    Wrong. At least if you're like me and you forgot to factor in Daylight Savings Time... ending? beginning? I can never remember which we do in the fall.
     Day 1: Sunday November 1st
            Wake up incredibly late, somewhat relieved that the pressure of finishing my Halloween short story is off now that it's been completed and posted. Ditto the Halloween Contest my Paranormal Art group always hosts during the month of October. I was up reading late the night before and feel incredibly lazy all day. Does writing in my journal count?

     Day 2: Monday November 2nd
              Writing done today: some additional sections added to the previous two chapters in my work-in-progress plus an hour or so spent doing research for the next chapter. I fully intended to do some writing before I went to be but exhaustion has a way of creeping up on me.

     Day 3: Tuesday November 3rd
              Feeling revitalized after ten blissful hours of sleep and inspired after watching the new episode of Wicked City (even though I'm not writing about serial killers or Los Angeles) I finally, thankfully put pen to paper and wrote 3 or 4 pages. Not a lot but definitely making progress.

     Day 4: Wednesday November 4th
              After being up late the previous night writing I spent another 1 1/2 hours writing 4 more pages. Nearly finished with this chapter... just a few more words... darn, I fell asleep on my notebook. No matter I will finish tomorrow night.
 
     Day 5: Thursday November 5th
             Super wired because the giveaway I had going on Goodreads ends tonight and as of 11 pm I've gotten nearly 1550 entries. Amazing! Feeling so inspired I write until nearly 1am. I finish my chapter and begin plotting out the next one.

     Day 6: Friday November 6th
             Wake up early to post this blog. I find that I work best late at night, with the music going. (I prefer Halestorm, The Pretty Reckless, Seether, and other hard rock as I write, but the rain last night was spectacular too.) I write by hand because then I don't have the lure of twitter to distract me.

Total Word Count Written this week: 3300

     How about you? Are you participating in NaNoWriMo? How do you handle distractions like the internet? Do you write with music or in silence? How long do yo spend writing each day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR