Monday, September 19, 2016

Book Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Elite (The Selection Series #2) by Kiera Cass
Blurb:
The Selection began with thirty-five girls.

Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever - and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want - and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.

My Review:
America Singer has made it into the top six of the Selection, The Elite and she's grown used to life in the palace while her feelings for Prince Maxon grow. 

When Maxon shows America the journal of one of his ancestors, the first king of Illea, Gregory Illea, so she can finally learn what Halloween was America finds herself reading the first king's innermost thoughts and plots - not only to increase his power but to transform the country into the dreadful place it has become. At times America fears she sees that same crazy ambition reflected in Maxon's eyes. 

When the Selection takes a darker turn and the attacks from the rebels begin coming closer and closer together, Maxon and America's relationship begins to change as cracks form in their bond. America struggles with her growing feelings for Maxon while still holding onto her history with Aspen. But when Maxon starts to get closer to Kriss, America must wonder - does Maxon really love her? Or are his words just pretty little lies? 

Can America really trust Maxon? Or is he just an expert actor making her believe he really cares for her? What is it that the rebels want? Why do they keep stealing books from the palace and what secrets do those books hold? Was Gregory Illea really a hero? Or a wolf in sheep's clothing?  

Let me start off by saying I was REALLY looking forward to reading this book. I loved the Selection so I ran out and bought books two and three right away. But the further I got into this book the more distressed - or maybe depressed - I felt. One thing is abundantly clear to me: I could never be on a show like the Bachelor. The fact that one minute Maxon is telling America she's the one and he's going to marry her at the end of this then the next minute he's so buddy-buddy with Kriss made my heart plummet for America. Maxon says he's only trying with the other girls "just in case things don't work out" with America but if she's truly the one, why would he even bother? 

The other thing that really made me dislike Maxon in this book was the situation with Marlee. I know he redeemed himself in America's eyes later but I'm not sure I would have been able to forgive a guy that allowed something like that to happen to one of my friends. Or the way that when they fight Maxon kind of turns into a controlling jerk. It makes me think America ending up with Aspen wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. 

I have mixed feelings about this book. Parts of it I liked but there was so much of it that left me feeling... bad? I still at some point might want to read book three and see what happens but at this point is Maxon really even worth having? :/
My Rating: 
3.75 of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR