To me, Halloween is the most magical of nights. Did you know that some believe that on Halloween the veil between this world and the afterlife is at its thinnest and spirits walk among us? Traditionally pumpkins were carved to ward off evil spirits that may come knocking. Personally, for me, Halloween traditions are filled with watching tons of horror movies, reading spooky novels, and maybe a tarot reading or two.
So in the spirit of my favorite holiday, here are some books that scream Halloween to me...
1. Dracula by Bram Stoker
2. Frankenstein by Mary Shelly
3. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving
4. The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
5. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
6. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
7. The Hollow by Jessica Verday
8. Asylum by Madeleine Roux
9. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
10. Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
11. Blood and Salt by Kim Liggett
12. The Revenant by Sonia Gensler
13. The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee
14. The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich
15. Lucky Break by Carly Phillips (not spooky, but I love reading this at Halloween)
16. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (again, not scary but classic)
With so many more horror stories out there, what would you add to the list? Whatever you're reading or whatever you're doing this Halloween, I hope you're having a fantastic day!