Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Book Review: Daughter of The Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller

Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller
Blurb:
There will be plenty of time for me to beat him soundly once I've gotten what I came for.

Sent on a mission to retrieve an ancient hidden map—the key to a legendary treasure trove—seventeen-year-old pirate captain Alosa deliberately allows herself to be captured by her enemies, giving her the perfect opportunity to search their ship.

More than a match for the ruthless pirate crew, Alosa has only one thing standing between her and the map: her captor, the unexpectedly clever and unfairly attractive first mate Riden. But not to worry, for Alosa has a few tricks up her sleeve, and no lone pirate can stop the Daughter of the Pirate King.

In Daughter of the Pirate King, debut author Tricia Levenseller blends action, adventure, romance, and a little bit of magic into a thrilling YA pirate tale.

My Review:
Yo ho ho, it's not a pirate's life for me. 

This book held a lot of promise and for me it just didn't work. I was expecting humor and adventure when everyone insisted that Alosa was like a female Jack Sparrow but if there was any humor in the book I didn't see any trace before I DNF'd it at 25%.

Alosa was a very unlikeable character. From page one you hear how great of a pirate she is and how better of a swordsman she is or how smarter she is than everyone else. But to me that read as such cockiness that I couldn't sink into her story at all.

Alosa allows herself to be kidnapped so she can find part of a map that will allow her father return to the island where sirens hide all of their treasure. But the crew of the Night Farer isn't what she was expecting. The captain is a jerk - but he's a young jerk. Then there is Riden, the first mate and also the captain's brother. I think he was meant to be Alosa's love interest but it just never developed much into romance as far as I saw because Alosa is just so full of herself. 

Also, you'd think that if you had a prisoner in your brig you'd have someone guarding her, not falling asleep so she can let herself out of her cell and search the ship all night. That seemed a little unbelievable. 

I'll admit, this isn't the first pirate-themed book that I've read and disliked, but I figured the other one I didn't like was because it was a historical fiction that didn't make a lot of sense. This was supposed to be YA Fantasy and I didn't even really see it as that. I even tried reading the last chapter to see if I liked the ending enough to pursue getting to it and even that didn't work for me.

Overall, if you loved a female lead that's cocky, arrogant, and self-absorbed, Alosa is your girl. This book could have been so great, such an adventure, but it let me down.

My Rating:
DNF @ 25% - No Star Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR