Sunday, July 16, 2017

Book Review: Because of Lila by Abbi Glines

Because of Lila by Abbi Glines
Blurb:
Prim, proper, classic good girl, and her least favorite label - icy. 

Lila Kate Carter has heard them all. The last one, being the newest. She is not icy. She just doesn’t care for Cruz Kerrington and his spoiled, selfish, careless ways. That doesn’t make her icy, that makes him a jerk!

Tired of being labeled and doing what is expected of her, Lila Kate leaves Rosemary Beach, Florida ready for an adventure. Wanting to recreate herself, find a new path, and become something more. 

Eli Hardy is tired of women who always act the same, do the same thing and expect the same thing. He's ready to swear off women until he can get the rest of his life together. 

Two weeks into his no-women-rule he meets Lila. She’s so damn sweet and polite. Like she walked right out of an etiquette book. But he’d already been drunk before she walked in so there was a good chance she might not be as stunning and perfect as he thinks. He’s just too drunk to worry about that. 

The next morning, he swears he can still smell her on his skin. He just can’t remember why or what happened after that third dance. 

Their worlds are about to collide, and so are the secrets and lies.

My Review:
Because of Lila is the second book in the Sea Breeze meets Rosemary Beach series and after reading Like a Memory (Nate Finlay and Bliss York's story) I expected this book to be for Lila Kate Carter and Eli Hardy. As I started reading, though, I was immediately drawn to Cruz Kerrington. He was the usual sexy, bad boy that I tend to fall for.

I loved that Lila wanted to leave Rosemary Beach and reinvent herself. She reminded me a lot of her mother in the initial Rosemary Beach series, but I liked her so much better. On the other hand, while I have no real issue with Eli, I didn't like his father Marcus much in the Sea Breeze series so I still don't like Eli very much (and it really didn't have anything to do with him, exactly). 

Once I started reading this book I couldn't stop, I literally read this book in one afternoon. Throughout the book, I kept guessing which guy Lila would pick. I'd think "Oh she's definitely going to pick this guy" then a few chapters later my opinion would change, the story keeping me on my toes even until the last chapter. 

The secret Cruz was keeping broke my heart and I couldn't believe his father's reaction. He should have been outraged for his son, not blaming him.

 In the end, I'm just glad everything worked out for all three characters in their own way. 

One thing that I noticed (yet again) was the typos throughout this book. Honestly, at this point, I've read so many of her books with that issue that it doesn't even faze me anymore. I could, however, suggest a computer with spell check or a new editor. That's the only thing that's keeping me from giving this book a full five stars.

Overall, I couldn't get enough of this book. It's definitely in the top five of my favorites by Abbi Glines. I think I even liked it better than Like A Memory. If you're looking for a sexy, contemporary romance that will keep you on the edge of your seat Because of Lila is your book! 

My Rating:
4.90 of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR