Monday, January 22, 2018

Book Review: Ryan's Bed by Tijan

Ryan's Bed by Tijan
Blurb:
I crawled into Ryan Jensen’s bed that first night by accident.

I barely knew him. I thought it was his sister’s bed—her room. It took seconds to realize my error, and I should've left...

I didn’t.
I didn’t jump out.
I didn’t get embarrassed.
I relaxed.
And that night, in that moment, it was the only thing I craved.

I asked to stay. He let me, and I slept.

The truth? I never wanted to leave his bed. If I could've stayed forever, I would have.
He became my sanctuary.

Because—four hours earlier—my twin sister killed herself.


Buy Links


My Review:
When Mackenzie gets up to get a drink and goes back to the room she thinks she was sleeping in - the room of the daughter of one of her father's coworkers - she accidentally crawls into the bed of the girl's brother. But while before she was having trouble sleeping, she instantly falls asleep feeling comfort for the first time after walking in and finding her twin sister Willow dead in a puddle of her own blood only a few hours earlier. 

While the rest of her life is falling apart she finds comfort with Ryan Jensen, he becomes her
life preserver in a world that no longer makes sense. At times Mackenzie feels like she's healing while other times she feels like she's drowning from the pain of her sister's death. 

Her one constant becomes Ryan. But is what's developing with Ryan happening too fast? Is what she's feeling real? Or is she just using him because he's the only person who makes her feel normal?

Ryan's Bed is going to be a book that stays with me for a long time. It's one of those books, like one of my favorites - Crash Into Me by Albert Boris, that changes you and makes you see things in a different way.

While Mackenzie and Ryan do develop a relationship over the course of the book, this book is more about grief and survivor's guilt, about putting your life back together after the unthinkable happens. Mackenzie goes through the stages of grief as she tries to cope with what Willow did, the loss of her twin, her parents' distance, and her brother going away to a school for the gifted all at once. She tries numbing the pain with alcohol and even sex, fighting with girls at school, all just to make Willow's voice in her head go away. Ryan is an amazing character, the kind of guy you wish existed in real life who would take a girl he doesn't even know under his wing and offers her comfort in her time of need.

I haven't read anything by Tijan before but I loved this book and I liked her writing style. One thing I would have changed though was her word choice with "pile of blood." Blood is liquid therefore I don't believe it can be piled up so to speak. I think puddle of blood or pool of blood would have been a better word choice. 

Overall, this book is sad but beautifully written and I already want to reread it even though I've just finished reading it!

My Rating:
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
5 of 5 Stars!


Enter the Ultimate Ryan's Bed Giveaway!



Connect with Tijan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR