Sunday, May 6, 2018

Book Review: A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas


A Court of Frost and Starlight (ACOTAR #3.1) by Sarah J. Maas
Blurb:
The Winter Solstice. In a week. I was still new enough to being High Lady that I had no idea what my formal role was to be. If we'd have a High Priestess do some odious ceremony, as lanthe had done the year before. A year. Gods, nearly a year since Rhys had called in his bargain, desperate to get me away from the poison of the Spring Court to save me from my despair. Had he been only a minute later, the Mother knew what would have happened. Where I'd now be. Snow swirled and eddied in the garden, catching in the brown fibers of the burlap covering the shrubs My mate who had worked so hard and so selflessly, all without hope that I would ever be with him We had both fought for that love, bled for it. Rhys had died for it.

My Review:
It's hard for me not to think of ACOFAS as a "Christmas Book" since its' set at Winter Solstice. A departure from the rest of this series ACOFAS is told mainly in Feyre and Rhysand's perspectives with a few chapters in Cassian's perspective, several in Mor's perspective, and one in Nesta's perspective. With no real pressing threat - except for some distention in the Illyrian camps - this book is mainly about the Inner Circle post-war as they settle back into their lives, help rebuild Velaris, set the groundwork to strengthen alliances with their allies, and prepare for Winter Solstice.

ACOFAS is a quick read, much shorter than SJM's other books and I enjoyed it, although for me it was missing a little something. Action maybe? I know this is supposed to be a ACOTAR series novella but it felt sort of like a filler book - an in-between book before we get to the next book that although nice and enjoyable doesn't really serve any purpose. I mean when Feyre's biggest concern is not knowing what to get her family for Winter Solstice and Rhysand's biggest concern is not having enough time to take Feyre to bed you know there isn't much going on there. 

Overall, I liked this book but I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the author's other books. Of course, my favorite book in this series will always be ACOMAF.

My Rating:
🌟🌟🌟🌟
4 of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR