Sunday, June 24, 2018

Book Review: Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo


Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows Duology #2) by Leigh Bardugo
Blurb:
When you can't beat the odds, change the game.

Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and badly weakened, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets―a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of the Grisha world.

My Review:
The crew is back after their adventure in the Ice Court - but one of their own has been kidnapped, another fights the withdrawal of jurda parem, and they've been screwed over by Jan Van Eck. 

Kaz isn't going to let Van Eck get away with using his crew or taking his Wraith, he will stop at nothing to bring him down. Through a series of intricate plans and the dazzling sleight of hand we were introduced to in Six of Crows the crew will aim to get everything they every wanted. But will that piece of everything come at too high a cost? 

While I loved this book, possibly more than Six of Crows, it felt like it took me a really long time to read. I found myself reading this book in fits and starts, the story would grab me then I'd lose interest for a little while. Don't get me wrong, the book is excellently written and plotted - I'm probably the one at fault for how long it took me to read.

I loved seeing more depth to Wylan in this book and he and Jesper were two of my favorite characters, they were so awesome together. I also really loved seeing Genya, Zoya, and "Sturmhond" in this book! It just gets me so much more excited for King of Scars. Inej and Kaz's romantic tension was heartbreaking and encouraging to read. You could see how much they wanted to be together but they demons from their past just kept it from happening. Maybe in the 3rd book to come someday??? And Nina and Matthias... no, I just can't go there yet. My heart is broken. 

Overall, this book will give you all the feels from triumph and pulse-pounding schemes to heartbreak and grief and hope for the future. Ms. Bardugo may steal the spot for my favorite author yet.

My Rating:
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
5 of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR