Saturday, May 2, 2020

{Book Review} THE BETROTHED by Kiera Cass


The Betrothed
The Betrothed, #1
by Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 5, 2020
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance, Royalty

Blurb:
When King Jameson declares his love for Lady Hollis Brite, Hollis is shocked—and thrilled. After all, she’s grown up at Keresken Castle, vying for the king’s attention alongside other daughters of the nobility. Capturing his heart is a dream come true.

But Hollis soon realizes that falling in love with a king and being crowned queen may not be the happily ever after she thought it would be. And when she meets a commoner with the mysterious power to see right into her heart, she finds that the future she really wants is one that she never thought to imagine.

Review:
I picked up this book knowing the review was due soon but I was going to read another book first. I only meant to read a chapter or two then come back to it. One hour later I was over 100 pages in and finding it really hard to put down. 

The first 1/3 of the book brings you the schemes and court intrigue as Hollis woos the king. Then the Eastoffe family from the neighboring kingdom arrive at the palace looking for sanctuary and it's like the flip has been switched. Call it love - or lust - at first sight but suddenly it's move aside King Jameson, there's a new love interest in town. 

Right here I'll tell you I shipped Hollis and Silas Eastoffe from their first meeting. Scorching chemistry and longing between the two leap from the page showing a connection that is lacking between Hollis and Jameson. But I suppose some readers will ship Jameson because he's a king and he can shower Hollis with expensive things. 

The ending broke my heart and I can't wait for the second book. I have some theories for book two if anyone wants to discuss.

Overall, this book is well worth the hype and I liked this book much better than the Selection series.              

My Rating:
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
4.5 of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR