Sunday, February 14, 2021

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - 15 February 2021

#IMWAYR is a weekly meme started on J Kaye’s blog and then was hosted by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at The Book Date.

Happy Monday Bookdragons! I hope you had a good weekend and a nice Valentine's Day if you celebrated!

What I Read Last Week: 

Winds of Salem by Melissa de la Cruz

Winds of Salem was the weakest of the trilogy in my opinion. It's split between Freya being stuck in Salem in 1692 and the modern era and sometimes that works, other times it doesn't. I don't like how Freya's story ultimately ends. We see more in Freddie's perspective in this book and I couldn't stand him even in the second book. Joanna's part was okay, but I found it annoying how invested she was in Tyler getting into a private kindergarten; one might even call it obsessed. And I think Norman was done wrong. He had to sacrifice himself just because of a stupid decision Freddie makes. And Ingrid... she was the most stable of the book I guess? It was an okay read but toward the end I found myself mostly skim reading. 

East by Edith Pattou
While the story is clearly well-researched to keep to historical accuracy and terms maybe it’s because of how many times I read the original fairy tale growing up that I found the story predictable. I always knew basically what was going to happen next.

Currently Reading:

The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager

I started reading this book once before but was in a book rut so I'm giving it another go.  

Next Read

Sweet Black Waves by Kristina Perez

This is a "give-a-book-a-second-chance" read for me. The last time I tried to read this book I kept comparing it to the 2006 movie Tristan and Isolde staring James Franco and Sophia Myles. Now I'm going to go into it thinking only that it is a YA Fantasy inspired by an old myth and in no way related to the movie. Let's see how that goes. 

*** 

Do you ever give a book you DNF'd or didn't like a second chance?

7 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed Riley Sager, so I am eyeing The Last Time I Lied. Thanks for sharing, and here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read The Last Time I Lied in almost one sitting yesterday. I hope you enjoy it if you give it a try

      Delete
  2. Sweet Black Waves has a lovely cover. I hope it's better this time! I don't think I've ever given a DNF a second chance, and maybe I should! I keep a list of them. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, all of the books in the trilogy have beautiful covers. I give books a second chance if I think the issue was more me ... a reading slump or being too tired to read or unfairly comparing it to something else... sometimes it works out, other times I realize the book just isn't meant for me. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I've heard great things about Riley Sager, but I've never read anything by him (her? I don't even know that!). I'll have to look into those! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too many books, too little time. Rarely do I try again (unless many years later) with a book that didn't click the first time. Hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have a stack of books I mean to try again but seldom get around to actually doing so. I hope these work for you this time. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Read NIGHT OF TERROR