Friday, August 30, 2019

Friday Night Frights: Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark


Hey Bookdragons! Welcome to the 4th installment of the Friday Night Frights meme!

How It Works:
On your blog feature a horror novel you loved (it doesn't have to be a new release) and recommend a horror movie you love then come back here and post your link in the comments! That's it, as simple as that! 

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
The iconic anthology series of horror tales that's soon to be a highly anticipated feature film! 

Stephen Gammell’s artwork from the original Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark appears in all its spooky glory in this paper-over-board edition. Read if you dare!

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a timeless collection of chillingly scary tales and legends, in which folklorist Alvin Schwartz offers up some of the most alarming tales of horror, dark revenge, and supernatural events of all time.

And don't miss More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and Scary Stories 3!

What I loved about Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark:
This book takes me back to my childhood. Staying at a friends house or at a birthday party and telling stories to scare each other into sleeping with our eyes open. These books were actually really popular when I was in elementary school and I remember checking them out from the local library but I admit, I was a kid who was afraid of everything and was too chicken to give these stories a read back then. Now as an adult I'm reading them for - believe it or not - the first time and realizing they're not so scary after all. 

Movie Rec: The Fog


If you've been a follower of this blog since the beginning or have read any of my paranormal/urban fantasy novels you will know that The Fog is one of my all-time favorite movies. The remake, not the 1980 original, which shocks most people because it's usually the other way around. 

"Selma Blair, Tom Welling and Maggie Grace star in this creepy thriller about an island town off the coast of Oregon that's forced to contend with some unwelcome visitors from its past: the spirits of lepers and sailors aboard a ship that the hamlet's forefathers had steered astray on purpose. Those aboard the doomed vessel all wound up lost in the fog forever. Now, they're back from the mist, eager to exact revenge on the descendants of their murderers."

The first time I saw this movie I was 13. It was Halloween night and I was having a Halloween sleepover so three of my friends and I went to see The Fog. I had not seen said 1980 original, which is fine since this remake has a completely different (and in my honest opinion much better) plot. 

The Fog begins with a ghastly crime. Four men sail out through the fog to kill a ship full of lepers who were just looking for a new place to call their own. Instead, the men they made a deal with stole their gold and anything of value and burned and sunk the ship killing everyone aboard.

Now 150+ years later the crimes of the past will be visited upon the heads of the descendants of those four foolish men. But why now? What made them come back? Could it be the return of Elizabeth (Maggie Grace) to the small island of Antonio Bay, Oregon?

If you like supernatural horror, reincarnation, and a great movie sound track you need to add The Fog to your queue right this minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR