Wednesday, December 23, 2015

"What I'm Reading" Wednesday #2

     This Wednesday I'm beginning a new book on "WIR"-Wednesday. This week I'm starting...


Boyfriend from Hell by E. Van Lowe
Blurb:
Fifteen year-old Megan Barnett and her single mom, Suze, have a special relationship—they are friends, close friends, who do almost everything together.

“But come on, guys, she’s my mother… Can I really tell her that while we’re snuggled up on the sofa watching Spider Man Three, I’m secretly undressing James Franco with my eyes? Of course not…”

The special bond takes a turn for the worse when Suze decides to start dating again. She hasn’t had a man in her life since Megan’s father left ten years ago.

Enter two mysterious young men, Megan’s new classmate, sinfully attractive bad boy, Guy Matson, and the dangerously handsome art dealer, Armando. Before long Megan and Suze both wind up in steamy relationships. But neither of the handsome pair is quite what he seems. In fact, one of them is Satan, with his sights set on a new bride. Megan has precious little time to figure out how to stop him. If she doesn’t, either Megan or Suze are quite literally going to HELL.


Why I Chose this Book:

   I first came across this book as a listing on Ripley's Booklist's weekly newsletter. (Every Saturday they send out a newsletter filled with free and/or low-priced ebooks for young adults and I've been addicted since I used them to list my newest release, Finding Elizabeth.) The cover of Boyfriend from Hell called to me first as did RB's recommendation, so I read the blurb and downloaded it. I haven't really gotten too far into it yet so I haven't formed an opinion.
   
   Since I'm only on the first page I can't really tell who I recommend this book for yet (stay tuned for an update). In the meantime check out what I've read since last Wednesday...

Sweet Madness by Trisha Leaver and Lindsay Currie

Blurb:   
Who was Lizzie Borden? A confused young woman, or a coldhearted killer? For generations, people all over the world have wondered how Andrew Borden and his second wife, Abby, met their gruesome deaths. Lizzie, Andrew's younger daughter, was charged, but a jury took only 90 minutes to find her not guilty. In this retelling, the family maid, Bridget Sullivan, shines a compassionate light on a young woman oppressed by her cheap father and her ambitious stepmother. Was Lizzie mad, or was she driven to madness?

What I thought of the book:
I really liked Sweet Madness. No matter whether you believe that Lizzie Borden did her parents in or not this book shines light on other possibilities as well as the living conditions Lizzie had to endure under the thumb of her cheap, controlling father and her schemeing stepmother. Lizzie is at times pained as being mentally unstable and at points you even feel sorry for Mr. and Mrs. Borden, but don't let their sob stories fool you, there's more than meets the eye. The real victim is Bridget Sullivan (who was actually a real person) who struggled to survive the madness within the Borden house. Read this book if you like a quick, creepy read. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5 stars)


Initiation (The School of Exorcists #1) by K.E. O'Connor

Blurb:
Ruby Carmichael is your typical teenage girl, trying to ignore the unusual fact she sees ghosts. After she almost kills someone, she discovers she isn't so typical and has abilities and responsibilities she's never dreamed of.

After almost ending the life of her school crush at a dance, Ruby is humiliated and confused. She isn't prepared for the revelation that she's fated to join the School of Exorcists, a mysterious school that trains young Senders in the art of crossing over the undead and protecting the world from dark magic forces.

In this fast paced teen and YA paranormal romance and adventure series, Ruby meets Andreas, an undead member of the School, who introduces her to the weird and magically freaky world of the School of Exorcists.

It's not long before Ruby also meets Zander Ford and falls in love. The road to happiness is thwarted by unstable ghosts, dark magic crazed family members and Ruby's own fears that magic and romance don't combine well.

There's also the issue of Jarrod Deveral, a handsome but dangerous magic using soul freezer, who lingers in Ruby's mind. With the romance heating up between Ruby and Zander, she can't ignore the issue that her birth parents are causing trouble by using dark magic.

But when Ruby and her new friends come under attack from dark magic, she must draw on her new found powers to save herself and the School she has grown to love.



What I Thought of the Book:
 I really enjoyed this book. It's a quick read and it reminds me a little bit of Harry Potter and another trilogy I read by Lee Nichols with its school of magic users. It makes you want to get the next book and see what else is in store for Ruby and the rest of her friends. 

Is it wrong of me if I say I want to see if something happens between Ruby and Andreas or Ruby and Jarrod?
  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5 Stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR