Wednesday, December 30, 2015

"What I'm Reading" Wednesday #3

This week on "WIR" Wednesday I'm reading...

Crystal Magic (Clearwater Witches #1) by Madeline Freeman
Blurb:
Nothing is safe around Kristyl Barnette. Windows break. Books rocket across the room. Lights flicker. Strange occurrences follow the sixteen-year-old everywhere. She’s an outcast at her school, but everything changes in the blink of an eye. 
When tragedy forces her to move to the small town of Clearwater, Michigan, with her estranged aunt Jodi, Kristyl tries to leave her past behind. She makes friends and catches the attention of Owen Marsh, who accepts her without question and who may be able to understand her better than anyone. 
But Owen isn’t the only one who notices her. The mysteriously alluring Fox Holloway draws Kristyl’s eye whenever he’s around. And Clearwater High’s chief mean-girl, Crystal Jamison, has her sights set on Kristyl and will stop at nothing to prove what Kristyl really is.
 A witch. 
Magic can be as dangerous as fire, and Aunt Jodi wants Kristyl to have nothing to do with it. But when a mysterious illness threatens her aunt’s life, Kristyl will do anything to cure her. Enlisting the help of witches could save Jodi, but is dealing in magic worth the consequences?

Why I Chose This Book:
This is another one of my Ripley's Booklist Newsletter freebie books and I've come to trust their recommendations completely. I love paranormal books involving witches and so far I'm liking Crystal Magic. I've just gotten to the part where Kristyl encounters the mysterious Fox Holloway for the first time. I always go for the sexy, mysterious guys but I already like the Owen character. 

Who this book is for:
So far I think this book is best for all fans of YA, especially those that like books about witches. I sense a love interest coming for Kristyl so I dare to say this book is Paranormal Romance. If that interests you go for it! I like it so far and I think you will too!

Here's what else I've read in the past week...

Kissed (Thorn Chronicles #1) by Kimberly Toth
Blurb:
Trapped in a dark cult, sixteen-year-old Naomi Aren has lived a quiet, albeit unhappy, life nestled deep in the hills of the Ozarks. With uncut hair, denim skirts, and only roses for friends, Naomi seldom questions why her life is different from other kids at school. Until the day her abusive father, who is also the cult’s leader, announces her wedding. Naomi must marry Dwayne Yerdin, a bully who reeks of sweat and manure and is the only one person who scares her worse than her father. 
Then she meets Kai, the mysterious boy who brings her exotic new roses and stolen midnight kisses. Kisses that bring her a supernatural strength she never knew she had. As the big day approaches, Naomi unearths more secrets of about her father’s cult. She learns she has power of her own and while Kai may have awakened that power, Naomi must find a way to use it to escape Dwayne and her father—without destroying herself.

What I Thought of This Book:
Kissed is a keep-you-up-all-night-reading kind of book. I started this book and before I knew it 3 1/2 hours had passed and I was more than halfway through it. Naomi's love and knowledge of roses is really unique and you like her from the first page. Her parents reminded me of the Duggar parents so I could easily envision them. You're rooting for Naomi's escape after the cruel treatment she receives from her parents and Dwayne (the puke she's supposed to marry) and you find relief when she makes it to Las Vegas. I loved all of the characters Naomi meets in Vegas. Ginny is great and Ricki grows on you. Puck is naturally my favorite character. Anyway, read this book, you're going to love it! And don't blame me if you lose sleep staying up all night to finish it! I can't wait to read the next book!
My rating: ***** (5 Stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR