Wednesday, February 24, 2016

"What I'm Reading" Wednesday #11

        This "What I'm Reading"-Wednesday I'm reading a book I absolutely cannot put down. Aren't those the best kind?


Shiver by Kristen Middleton
Blurb:
While Nikki tries to adjust to her new home in Shore Lake and forget about the horrors of last summer, she battles with her own inner demons still craving Ethan's dark embrace.

Meanwhile, Duncan disappears in the middle of the night after being stalked by shadows, Nathan is spending more and more time with Celeste, and there is a hot new club in town, where the after-parties are to die for.

What I think of the book so far/ Why I Chose it:
I loved the first book in this series and the second book is really good too. It's been a few months since I read the first book but I instantly jumped right in and it feels like returning to old friends after a short break. Nikki is still a strong main character and Ethan is still my personal choice for her. This book sucks you in, and you feel unwilling to put it down until you're done. The only problem I have with this book is that I have a paperback copy and while the front and back cover, as well as the inside correctly identify this as the second book in the series, the spine states that it is the third book. At first I thought I had purchased the wrong book. Secondly, inside the book on the copyright page the book is listed as the "Second Additon". While I haven't found any errors within the book itself, the obvious typo is a bit comical. No big deal, but the author might want to correct these small - easily fixable problems before any more paperback copies are sold. Overall it's a fantastic read and I can't wait to finish this book and the rest of the books in the series. My Early Rating: 5 of 5 Stars

Here's what else I've read since last week...

Mad Love by Suzanne Selfors
Blurb:
Writing her own love story could drive a girl insane. 

As the daughter of the bestselling Queen of Romance, life for sixteen-year-old Alice Amorous should be pretty good. But ever since her mother was secretly hospitalized for mental illness, Alice has been forced to maintain a brave front - lying to her new crush, Tony; answering fan letters; forging her mother's signature; telling the publisher that all is well. Now time is running out, and so is their money. The next book is overdue and the Queen can't write it. Alice needs to deliver a new novel for her mother - and she needs to come up with one fast. 

That's when she meets Errol, a strange guy claiming to be Cupid, who insists that Alice must write about his tragic romance with Psyche - the greatest love story of all time. Only, Alice doesn't believe in Cupid...

What I Thought of this book:
I've read this author's other three Young Adult novels and loved 2/3. While Mad Love is not my favorite by the author parts of it (especially those about dealing with Alice's mother's publisher) are hilariously relate-able to a writer like me. As a main character, Alice was alright. I found Realm to be annoying, as I'm sure the author intended her to be and I didn't even come around to her at the end. Add in the assorted neighbors, Errol, and Alice's crush Tony, that I liked and disliked at different times throughout the reading process. I thought I would have really enjoyed this book, what with the writing aspect and the mythology stuff, which I usually gobble right up. This book was just okay in my opinion. I didn't overly like it, nor did I overly hate it. 
My Rating: 3 of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR