Friday, April 22, 2016

Why Every Indie Author Should Participate in an Author Takeover

                Earlier this week I participated in my first Author Takeover Event on Facebook. The event was held for Chelsy's Book Review page to celebrate how far she had come. 


               I started out as a guest at the event, invited by my writer friend, Leanne Rathbone (Author of Grace). I had so much fun during her slot that I left a comment for the hostess asking if she was looking for any other authors. Since this was a two week long event Chelsy was happy to schedule me in this past Monday night. 



            To prepare for my takeover I watched what the other authors were doing and I planned out my hour-long takeover. I stuck to a basic plan; introduce myself, introduce my books, throw in a couple giveaways, post some fun facts about my books, add in a few links for my social pages and a personality quiz I developed for Out of Darkness, allow a little Q&A session, and finally at the end of my time thank the host.

  
           Let me tell you, I had an amazing time. It was great talking to potential readers about not just my books, but about inspiration, music, and other things. 


         I know what you're thinking, "why should I want to do this? What makes you think anyone at the event will buy my books afterwards?" 



       Well, let's take potential sales off the table. You are interacting with potential readers. If you end up giving away a copy or two of your book but you gain a new fan who will want to read more books by you then you can count it as a win. Showing people you're friendly, personable, and above all approachable is of vital importance. 



       I'll let you in on a secret... Book Signings make me nervous. I'm not the most outgoing person in the world but I know book signings are all a part of the process. Author Takeover events can be just as worthwhile. And the best part? You can do it from home in your ratty PJs with your hair wrapped in a towel. It's so easy and it's basically like your normal social media self-promotion routine amped up by 100.  


        So, do you have a new book coming out and want to do something special to celebrate on release day? Consider having a release party event on Facebook and gather all your writer friends for a party/takeover. Let them take over the conversation for an hour or so and tell them to invite their friends. It's good karma because in the end not only does your new release get more exposure but you help your writer friends spread the word about their books at the same time. 
     
         What do you think? Have you ever participated in an Author Takeover? Tell me about your experience in the comments.
     
        PS... If you do decide to hold an Author Takeover or know someone that is, let me know! I'd love to participate. :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR