Wednesday, May 25, 2016

"What I'm Reading" Wednesday #24

This "WIR"-Wednesday I'm reading a fantastic book by an author new to me...

Hush by Karen Robards
Blurb:
When Riley Cowan finds her estranged husband Jeff dead in his palatial home, she’s sure it’s no coincidence. The police rule it a suicide, but Riley thinks someone’s out for blood—specifically someone Jeff’s father ripped off in one of the biggest financial fraud cases of all time. She suspects that someone is trying to send a message to Jeff’s father: Tell me where the money is, or everyone you care about will die.

Enter Finn Bradley, an FBI agent with a dangerous secret. He's after the money too, and Riley quickly becomes his chief suspect. But when someone tries to kill her, he has no choice but to protect her until he can uncover the truth. The question becomes, can they discover the killer’s identity in time, before he resurfaces—and strikes again?

Why I Chose This Book / What I Think So Far:
I kept seeing this book over and over for the longest time at Barnes and Noble but I never picked it up. I instantly loved the cover because I have major hair envy... I wish I could get my hair that color. And the woman holding her finger to her lips dares you to ask "what secrets is she hiding?" I finally grabbed this book off the shelf when I saw it on my latest library trip. 
Riley's ex-husband is the son of a man who pulled off a Bernie Madoff-esque investment scam and when Riley discovers Jeff hanging from the galley of his parents' former home she knows it's no suicide. Jeff would never kill himself, and he definitely wouldn't do that to his mother and his seventeen-year-old sister, who have already suffered so much. So Riley takes his phone and hightails it out of the house and makes an anonymous call to the police alerting them to Jeff's demise. What is on his phone? Clues to who might have killed him? Jeff swore that someone was out to get him and now Riley must face that someone was after him, and may come after her. 
Sexy FBI agent Finn is intrigued by Riley from the moment he spots her enter the Cowan estate, where he's hiding in the shadows, to discover Jeff's body. But when she doesn't react as he expected her to he wants to know why. What is Riley hiding and why did she take Jeff's phone? He knows she's hiding something based on her tight-lipped attitude, especially after a Ukrainian with diplomatic immunity breaks into her apartment and tries to kill her. Does Riley know where the money is? 
So far I really like this book. The author has created a story that's hard to pull away from. I'm constantly wondering what's going to happen next and who killed Jeff. I'm a big fan of this genre and can easily compare this author to some of my favorite authors: Nora Roberts, Sandra Brown, and Lisa Jackson. I can't wait to see how this book ends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR