Friday, May 27, 2016

Writer's Block-Busting Ideas

               This week has been a perfect writing week for me. I write a chapter during the day then type it up at night. I've sped through 4 chapters already. But the question is, what do you do to get past writer's block? 
               
Two Quick & Easy Ways to Combat Writer's Block for your WIP:

1. Plan out your writing one chapter at a time.
Grab a piece of paper and write down what you wish to accomplish in the chapter you're working on. I usually make a checklist stating all of the things that need to occur in a given chapter before I can move on to the next chapter. Think of it like brainstorming ideas to get the ideas flowing. 

2. Write Ahead or Write In Reverse.
With my current writing project I got a little stuck about five chapters in. Then I remembered some advice I once received from a writing group: write the ending first. See I knew how I wanted this book to end, I could clearly picture the final few chapters  in my mind. It was just the middle I was stuck on. So I've been writing this book in reverse, breezing right through it actually, and I don't regret a minute of it. So if you find yourself stuck but you ultimately know where you want the story to go write that first and come back to where you're stuck later. Think of it like reading ahead in a book you're reading. 

These a just a couple things that keep Writer's Block away. Give them a try and see what happens. What are some of the things that help you beat writer's block?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR