Wednesday, July 13, 2016

"What I'm Reading" Wednesday #31

This "WIR"-Wednesday I've read a couple different genres of books. Right now I'm reading...

Verity (Cursed #1) by Claire Farrell
Blurb:
Sixteen-year-old Perdita Rivers has spent her entire sheltered life being told what to do. Lately, she’s felt ready for a change, and the universe seems to agree. Her new best friend’s brother is the boy of Perdita’s dreams. Literally. 

Even though he plays hot and cold, she’s sure there’s more to it, but she’s kind of distracted by the sense she’s being followed - not to mention the rumors of wild animal sightings that seem to mean more to her new crush’s family than they should. Perdy’s on a mission to find the truth, but maybe the truth is the danger she should hide from, after all. 

Why I Chose This Book/ What I Think So Far:
I picked this book from my Kindle Library (I had downloaded it free from a Ripley's Booklist Newsletter) after rereading the blurb. After several contemporary books in the past week, I was craving something with a paranormal theme. And I love werewolf stories; I don't believe there are nearly enough books about werewolves. 

In addition to Verity, I also just finished reading...

Now & Then (Now #1) by Brenda Rothert
Blurb:
Now Emmaline Carson has settled into her career as a graphic designer, though she’d rather be painting or shopping with her sister Layla. But then – in the years before she went to art school in Paris – she was a shy, awkward teenager with frizzy hair, a flat chest and a massive crush on the boy across the street, Cole Marlowe. Too bad her incredibly hot neighbor only had eyes for Layla. 
Cole is now a confident, laid-back attorney who’s even hotter than he used to be. He’s planning to stay single while working his way up the corporate ladder – until he’s knocked off course by a chance run-in with Emma. 
Everything is different between Cole and Emma now. He finally sees her in a way she only dreamed of, and their hot chemistry is fueled by a growing friendship. But Emma’s deception of her sister – who wants Cole for herself – and the secret Cole’s been keeping for more than a decade threaten to tear apart what’s only just begun. Because sometimes the only thing standing in the way of now is then. 

My Review:
When Emma runs into her childhood crush and former neighbor Cole at a coffee shop all her old feelings come rushing back. Cole is now an attorney and more attractive than ever. And Cole is now finally noticing Emma in a different light. His attraction to the 24-year-old graphic artist is undeniable and he can’t stop thinking about her. 

As they begin spending time together one obstacle stands in Emma’s way, keeping her from really allowing herself to like Cole: her older sister Layla. Emma always felt like she was hidden in Layla’s perfect cheerleader shadow. Emma was the artsy type and Layla made sure to reinforce to her younger sister that nothing she had could be hers; especially Cole. Now an adult, Layla still wants Cole for herself and she relentlessly pursues Cole with the blessing of both their mothers. 

When Cole makes it perfectly clear to Emma that she’s the one he wants, not her sister Layla, will Emma be able to forget the past and allow herself happiness with Cole? Or will a secret from the past tear them apart? 

I loved this book! I could really relate to Emma because of her creativity and her mom and sister remind me a lot of my own family. Cole was so awesome and I loved him and Emma together. What I really liked about this story was the author allowed you to see what was happening in the present time and went back to the past to tell experiences from both characters about what their lives were like as teens. After all, what can sometimes look picture perfect on the outside can be anything but. This is an easy, intoxicating read that will keep you turning pages to see what’s going to happen between Emma and Cole next, because you know at some point Layla is going to find out about them and things will be explosive…
My Rating: 5 of 5 Stars

I also was lucky enough to read an ARC of Yesenia Vargas's upcoming novel, When You Came Back. Look for When You Came Back, and my review, later this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR