Thursday, September 15, 2016

Book Review: Wake the Hollow by Gaby Triana

Wake the Hollow by Gaby Triana
Blurb:
Forget the ghosts, Mica. It’s real, live people you should fear.

Tragedy has brought Micaela Burgos back to her hometown of Sleepy Hollow. It’s been six years since she chose to live with her father in Miami instead of her eccentric mother. And now her mother is dead.

This town will suck you in and not let go.

Sleepy Hollow may be famous for its fabled headless horseman, but the town is real. So are its prejudices and hatred, targeting Mica’s family as outsiders. But ghostly voices carry on the wind, whispering that her mother’s death was based on hate…not an accident at all. With the help of two very different guys—who pull at her heart in very different ways—Micaela must awaken the hidden secret of Sleepy Hollow…before she meets her mother’s fate.

Find the answers. 

Unless, of course, the answers find you first. 

My Review:
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is about to take on a whole new twist...

When eighteen-year-old Michaela returns to her hometown, Sleepy Hollow, New York, after the unexpected death of her mother she wants answers. What she finds instead are more questions than answers and a town full of people who still hate her family.

Everyone says Micaela's historian mother stole a journal belonging to Washington Irving. But what was her mother doing with the journal? What secrets does the journal hold? And who wanted it so badly they were willing to kill for it?

As Micaela digs deeper into the mystery it becomes clear that someone doesn't want Micaela poking around into whatever her mother discovered. With a menacing enemy lurking in plain sight who can Micaela trust? Her childhood friend Bram? Or the student teacher, Dane, who Micaela feels so comfortable with?

Will solving the mystery of her mother's murder also solve the mystery of Washington Irving's lost year? Or will a heartless killer silence Micaela like they silenced her mother?

To be honest, Dane was the only thing that saved this book from landing in my D-N-F pile. I got about three chapters in before I figured out the ending and I was just about to give up on this book when Dane swooped in and drew me back into the story.

I loved Dane and I wish there would have been more of a romantic development between him and Micaela than there was. I was naturally distrustful of Bram from the beginning - I mean really if he was Micaela's best friend and he was really in love with her he wouldn't have ended all communication for six years. And I absolutely hated what happened to Coco. I thought it was sick and unnecessary to the story.

Wake the Hollow naturally casts Micaela, Bram, and Dane into roles of Washington Irving's Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Bram was a dead ringer reminder of Brom Bones, Dane - in his student teacher disguise - was like Ichabod Crane, and Micaela was their Katrina Van Tassel.

Overall, I liked Wake the Hollow, I just found it a little predictable at times. Once I got the past few chapters I wanted to finish it and it was a nice read for the fall season. I just wished the ending had been different because it just kind of leaves you hanging.
My Rating:
3.75 of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR