Wednesday, October 19, 2016

"What I'm Reading" Wednesday #45

This "WIR"-Wednesday I'm backtracking and beginning a series by an author I fell in love with while reading an ARC of her upcoming novel. I'm reading...

Splintered (Splintered Series #1) by A.G. Howard
Blurb:
This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

Why I Chose This Book / What I Think So Far:
I chose to find this book after reading and falling in love with A.G. Howard's upcoming novel RoseBlood (review coming in January). At a recent trip to the library I picked up Splintered which is like a retelling of Alice in Wonderland. I'm about 1/3 of the way in and I'm loving it. It's different than RoseBlood, but it's a good different. The only thing I initially didn't like was Alyssa's bug art. It's kind of gross. But as a character I like Alyssa and I'm already in love with Jeb but at the same time I'm eager to see where this story and the next two books in the series go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR