Monday, June 19, 2017

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures: The Manga

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures: The Manga by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl and Art by Cassandra Jean
Blurb:
In crisp black and white manga pictures, Ethan Wate narrates his dreams, haunted an unreachable raven-haired beauty. When she moves into the small Southern town Blackwood mansion of her protective Uncle Macon, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her. As her 16th birthday nears, Lena must choose - or will the family curse choose for her? 

There were no surprises in Gatlin County .. the middle of nowhere. 
I couldn't have been more wrong. 
There was a curse. 
There was a girl. 
And in the end, there was a grave.

My Review:
Beautiful Creatures: The Manga was my first ever Manga book. I've never been a big fan of comic books or anime or manga but I fell in love with the cover of this book and decided to pick up a copy. 

I wasn't sure what to expect because I can remember some of my classmates in junior high reading these type of books from the back of the book to the front but I was happy to see that this book was formatted to read like a normal book.

The illustrations in this book were really cool and it was a very quick read. For those unclear of how a 560+ page book was turned into a Manga, reading Beautiful Creatures: the Manga was kind of like reading a cliff notes version of the book. All of the basic important points of the book were there, just in a more condensed, less detailed way. 

The only thing that I didn't like about this book was that the initial first pages were in color and then the rest of the book was in black and white. Maybe that is a normal manga thing, I don't know, but I wish the whole book would have been in color.

Overall, I loved reading Beautiful Creatures: the Manga. It reintroduced me to a book I had loved in a cool new way and I don't regret picking this book up. Have I fallen in love with manga and am I going to read it all the time now? No, but if another book I like gets turned into a Manga I'll be a lot more likely to pick up a copy.

My Rating:
4 of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR