Friday, August 18, 2017

Book Review: Unforgiven by Lauren Kate

Unforgiven (Fallen #5) by Lauren Kate
Blurb:
It’s the book FALLEN fans have been waiting for: Cam’s story, the brooding, bad-boy dark angel readers love.

High school can be hell.

Cam knows what it’s like to be haunted. He’s spent more time in Hell than any angel ever should. And his freshest Hell is high school, where Lilith, the girl he can’t stop loving, is serving out a punishment for his crimes.

Cam made a bet with Lucifer: he has fifteen days to convince the only girl who really matters to him to love him again. If he succeeds, Lilith will be allowed back into the world, and they can live their lives together. But if he fails…there’s a special place in Hell just for him.

Tick-tock.

Spread your wings and cry as bad boy dark angel Cam finally reveals his anguished heart in the epic new FALLEN novel, UNFORGIVEN.

My Review:
It's been a while since I read the initial Fallen books but I've wanted to read Cam's story for a long time. I liked the premise of the book and found it easy enough to get into.

The reason I had liked Cam so much in the initial books was that he was the sexy bad boy, but in this book, he's more like Daniel - the obsessive, sad, lovestruck boy who wants someone he can't easily have. Don't get me wrong, I did like seeing things in Cam's perspective, that's not the issue that I had with the book.

No, the issue was Lilith. I hated her so bad. I get it - she's in Hell but she doesn't know it, she doesn't remember Cam at all, and she just thinks her life sucks and she hates the world and everyone in it. Until Cam shows up and then she just hates him. Lilith is also very naive. She's quick to believe anything Luc (as in Lucifer) has to say and so quick to turn on Cam, yet Cam relentlessly tries to win her back. 

That was the part that didn't make sense to me. I mean I could see him loving the girl she was, but that girl was long gone. And why now? Sure, Luce and Daniel had their happy ending but why after all this time did he want to check up on Lilith?

Then there was Lucifer, who was just plain annoying - always popping up and interrupting every time it started to get good. 

Overall, I'm not sure if this book added anything good to the series as a whole. I think things could have just concluded with Rapture and that been it. It was an okay read, but toward the end I just found myself skim reading to get done with it quicker. Then the ending left me with more questions than a feeling of resolution. Arriane and Roland were starting a revolution against Lucifer? And you're not going to write something more about that? And then what was going to become of Lilith and Cam at the end? Would they live their lives as mortals? It was a bit confusing.

My Rating:
3 of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR