Thursday, March 15, 2018

(Audio)Book Review: See How She Dies by Lisa Jackson

See How She Dies by Lisa Jackson
Blurb:
London Danvers was kidnapped as a child from her wealthy family. Over the years, many women have claimed to be her, trying to lay claim to the long-lost heiress's inheritance. Among them is Adria Nash, who has arrived in Oregon, claiming to be London-but, unlike the others, she's different: she knows personal details only London could have known. And there is someone who does believe her-who is watching her every move, waiting to see how she runs, how she screams, and how she dies...

My Review:
Twenty-years-ago, at just shy of five-years-old London Danvers was abducted by her nanny from her wealthy family's hotel in Portland, Oregon and was never seen again. Why did the nanny take her? Where did she take her? What became of little London?

The disappearance tore the already rocky Danvers family apart. To Whitt Danvers, the patriarch of the family, London was his little princess and he went to his grave not knowing what happened to his beloved youngest child. Something broke inside Kat Danvers, London's mother and Whitt's second wife, after her only child was taken and she died, falling from the 19th floor of a hotel after taking a a dangerous cocktail of vodka and pills. Or did she? Second son, Zachary was beaten up on the night of London's disappearance and thought to be a suspect in the kidnapping. Was he involved? Could it have been one of the other Danvers children: Jason, Trisha, Nelson? The head of the rival Paladoria family? Or someone else connected to the Danvers family? Someone else you'd never suspect...

Now, in 1993 a woman by the name of Adria Nash arrives in Portland claiming to be the lost London. She isn't the first but she does bear an eerie resemblance to Kat. Could she be the lost heiress come back to claim her birthright? The Danvers family will do everything in their power to prove Adria is a fraud out for the family fortune, even as Zach and Adria grow close, an undeniable, potentially taboo attraction between the two.

But someone else is watching from the shadows, watching Adria as she searches for the truth. Someone that will do anything to keep the mystery of London's disappearance and Kat's death a secret. Can Adria find out who she is? Or will a killer end her life before she has a chance to find out the truth?

I really enjoyed this book. It kept me guessing and I genuinely didn't know who the killer or kidnapper was until the very end. Since I listened to the audiobook, I will say I enjoyed the narration very much. The narrator didn't put me to sleep and her voice didn't annoy me. 

A couple things I didn't like was the initial jumping back and forth between the 1970s and 1993 - I wish the author would have had part one as the events leading up to / the night of London's kidnapping, part two being the days/months/years after, and the rest of the book being the year 1993. I also didn't like the Trisha/Mario Paladoria part of the book. I got the forbidden-star-crossed-lovers-Romeo-and-Juliet type thing but Mario didn't seem sincerely interested in Trisha and Trisha was a total nutcase. Also, toward the end of the book when Anthony Paladoria announces to his son that the feud is over - that didn't make much sense to me. I mean I agreed with it but there was no reasoning behind it. Lastly, on an audiobook standpoint I wished the chapters could have been split up a little more. Nearly an hour on one chapter was a bit long in my opinion. You could have split it into two chapters, even if the chapter count doubled.

Initially I wondered why they didn't just do a familial DNA test to see if Adria was related to the Danvers family, although I questioned how advanced DNA was in 1993, but then at the end I understood why the author didn't plot it that way. 

Overall, I became hooked on this story and didn't want to stop listening. I couldn't wait to find out what was going on, if Adria was London, if she and Zach had a chance, who kidnapped London, and who the stalker/killer was and the result was a satisfying end. I'd definitely read/listen to this book again!

My Rating:
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
5 of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR