Monday, October 29, 2018

Book Review: SAWKILL GIRLS by Claire Legrand


Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand
Blurb:
Beware of the woods and the dark, dank deep.

He’ll follow you home, and he won’t let you sleep.

Who are the Sawkill Girls?

Marion: the new girl. Awkward and plain, steady and dependable. Weighed down by tragedy and hungry for love she’s sure she’ll never find.

Zoey: the pariah. Luckless and lonely, hurting but hiding it. Aching with grief and dreaming of vanished girls. Maybe she’s broken—or maybe everyone else is.

Val: the queen bee. Gorgeous and privileged, ruthless and regal. Words like silk and eyes like knives, a heart made of secrets and a mouth full of lies.

Their stories come together on the island of Sawkill Rock, where gleaming horses graze in rolling pastures and cold waves crash against black cliffs. Where kids whisper the legend of an insidious monster at parties and around campfires.

Where girls have been disappearing for decades, stolen away by a ravenous evil no one has dared to fight… until now.

My Review:
Earlier this year I read Furyborn by this author and I didn't really like it. But when I saw the blurb for this one and it sounded so amazing I had to give it a chance. 

Furyborn and Sawkill Girls are night and day. Sawkill girls is a story beautifully steeped in legend, bone-chilling thrills, and three very different girls. Once I picked it up I didn't want to pick it down and it was one of those rare books where I liked all of the characters whose perspectives the story is told in. I found myself feeling sympathy for Val, the girl cast as the mean girl, I cheered for shy mousy Marion as she came out of her shell, and I felt the struggle Zoey lived with every day. 

My one issue with the writing was the author's description of people. Describing someone as just a black man or a white man doesn't give me a real good picture. Not all people of the same race look the same, give me broad shoulders, and military buzz cuts and scars beneath one eye... something to tell me what the person looks like. 

I did like that the author chose to go with an LGBTQ romance as well as delving into an asexual character in this book. It was refreshing and I've actually never read a book where the character was asexual.

Overall, I really loved this book and it completely turned me around for this author's books. 

My Rating:
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
4.75 of 5 Stars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR