Friday, July 26, 2019

Friday Night Frights: There's Someone Inside Your House


Hey Bookdragons! Welcome to the 4th installment of the Friday Night Frights meme!

How It Works:
On your blog feature a horror novel you loved (it doesn't have to be a new release) and recommend a horror movie you love then come back here and post your link in the comments! That's it, as simple as that! 

There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins
Love hurts...

Makani Young thought she'd left her dark past behind her in Hawaii, settling in with her grandmother in landlocked Nebraska. She's found new friends and has even started to fall for mysterious outsider Ollie Larsson. But her past isn't far behind.

Then, one by one, the students of Osborne Hugh begin to die in a series of gruesome murders, each with increasingly grotesque flair. As the terror grows closer and her feelings for Ollie intensify, Makani is forced to confront her own dark secrets.
What I loved about There's Someone Inside Your House:
I love, love, loved this book! It was gripping and fast-paced, gory yet not too scary. The killings were well plotted (if not a little unbelievable in a couple cases) and when they were woven in with the hints of Makani's mysterious past it really made you wonder what exactly Makani had done for her parents to ship her off to Nebraska. Could she be the killer, I wondered. 

In true horror-suspense fashion I kept guessing at who the killer might be up until the reveal. I was a bit worried, because we find out the identity of the killer with about 100 pages left in the book, about how the author would wrap the book up. Surely the killer wouldn't be able to go on killing once people knew who he was, right? Boy was I wrong! 

This book had me biting my nails until the very end.

Movie Rec: Alone in the Dark

My grandmother watched this movie first. It was 3 am and she wakes me up to tell me about this terrifying movie she's watching on Turner Classic Movies. I caught maybe 5 minutes before I went back to bed, promising my grandmother I'd add it to the Netflix queue so we could watch it together. 

"Dr. Bain (Donald Pleasence) precariously presides over an eerie asylum that houses its fair share of eccentrics and very dangerous figures, including the murderous Frank Hawkes (Jack Palance) and the holier-than-thou Byron "Preacher"Sutcliff (Martin Landau). Not even the arrival of kindly Dr. Dan Potter (Dwight Schultz) on the scene can keep everyone in check. And when the lights go out mysteriously all over town, mayhem starts to rule."

I went in not knowing what to expect from this movie. Was it as scary as my grandmother said? Would it frighten me, the unfrightenable? 

Alone in the Dark is classic 80s horror in all the best ways. It's got an asylum run by a doctor who should probably be a patient, not one - not two - but FOUR crazy killers, an unsuspecting doctor who comes to work at the asylum leaving his family at home after a blackout.. and that's just a taste. 

If you like Friday the 13th, Halloween, or the original Nightmare on Elm Street and it's classic slasher horror format you need to check out Alone in the Dark ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR