Sunday, January 10, 2021

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - 11 January 2021

#IMWAYR is a weekly meme started on J Kaye’s blog and then was hosted by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at The Book Date.

Happy Monday Bookdragons! I hope you had a somewhat relaxing weekend. 

What I Read Last Week: 

Crier's War by Nina Varela

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I'm more looking forward to the second book to conclude the duology. I thought this one focused more on the rebellion and the sovereign and Crier's fiancé as opposed to the romance between Crier and Ayla. It was a little too slow burn (nearly non-existent) for me. And I want more of Storme and Junn... she seems ruthless but I'm intrigued.

Magic Dark and Strange by Kelly Powell
I was nervous going into this one because it has just so-so reviews online and I don't see it ever on bookstagram but I was hooked right from the beginning. I liked the narrator of the audiobook and the story was quick and kept me interested the whole way through. If you like historical fantasy that almost has a steampunk feel to it this one is a good choice.

The Grace Year by Kim Liggett

I wasn't sure I was going to like this one when I first started listening to the audiobook but I ended up loving it as much as everyone said I would. It had vibes of Lord of the Flies (loosely) and The Handmaid's Tale and the narrator keeps you invested in the story. The ending is kind of sad but overall it's a great read for everyone looking for the type of YA book where girls knock down the patriarchy. 

Currently Reading:

Witches of East End by Melissa de la Cruz

I have watched the Lifetime series 3 times but I have never actually read the book. I know that the two are vastly different in certain ways but I'm hoping I can separate one from the other once I start this tonight.

Next Read

The Last Witness by Claire McFall

This is the next audiobook I'm borrowing from my library's Hoopla. It's been on my TBR for a while and it sounds really eerie and awesome. 

*** 

Have you had any 5 star reads so far this year? 

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes a gamble is worth it :)

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like some great books there! Enjoy your reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magic Dark and Strange does sound good. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had any 5 star reads in 2021 yet. Heck, I haven't had any 4 star reads! (one of the books I'm currently reading may hit that, though). But, the year is still young! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete

Read NIGHT OF TERROR