Friday, May 22, 2015

Writing Young Adult

Hey everyone, I hope you are enjoying this beautiful Friday morning. I'm sitting on my bed staring out the open window anxious to get out into the day. 

As you might have seen on my Facebook page early this week it's "I Read YA Week", a week devoted to people that love reading and writing young adult novels. 

From my website http://www.taylorfenner.com:

        I love writing Young Adult novels as much as I love reading them; which is obviously a lot. Sometimes it feels like so many teens these days are too busy playing video games or texting to pick up a good book but lately I've been surprised by how many kids my sister's age have mentioned they like to read. It's a comforting thought that the written word isn't dead. 

To me it's important to have strong female leads in the novels I write. Girls need characters to look up to, to aspire to be like, someone they can relate to. And I think that's what a lot of good young adult novels give these days. 

I think we should all take a minute and appreciate all of the young adult authors out there that have paved the way for new, indie authors like me. Some of the authors I idolize and aspire to be like can be found on my "Things That Inspire Me" page on my website, so feel free to check it out and look into some of the authors I like. 

Today is also #ReadOrWriteAnywhere day.  Where do you like to read? Are you a writer? Where do you like to write? Is there a certain spot than inspires you? For me I can read almost anywhere; on the couch, on my bed, in a store, at the beach... anywhere really. My preferred writing spots are while sitting in bed or sitting at the kitchen table and occasionally on the couch. But inspiration can hit anywhere... I once was inspired to write a paragraph in my upcoming novel "Finding Elizabeth" while having dinner at The Cheesecake Factory. You just have to hope that you have something to write on; whether it's a napkin or the back of a receipt or a notebook you carry in your purse for such moments. You always have to be prepared. 

Well I'm just dying to get outside in the sun. Have a great Memorial Day weekend! Hopefully the weather will hold up and you'll be able to enjoy cookouts and time with your family if that's what you're into. Until next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR