Monday, October 16, 2017

NaNoWriMo Prep

There are only 15 days until the start of NaNoWriMo 2017! Those of you that are writers might know what that is but if not NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, which runs during the month of November each year.


What is NaNoWriMo?
Each year writers around the world challenge themselves to write a novel, at least 50,000 words during the month of November. Is it really possible? Yes! My first year I wrote about 54,000 words and last year I wrote about 63,000 words if memory serves me right. This would be my third year participating.

Alas, the past two years I've participated were easier than this fall is shaping up to be. Even though I've had this year's idea festering in the back of my mind for a few months now I'm currently dealing with a relative that is about to come out of a physical therapy facility and will be arriving home around the end of October. It's been a stressful month dealing with everything - lots of paperwork and phone calls and incompetent people in the medical/insurance field, but I digress. Nonetheless, I'm going to at least try and see how much I can get done in the 30 days. Anything will be an accomplishment at this point because I don't want to push myself too hard. 

A Little About My 2017 NaNoWriMo Project
For the second year in a row, I'm turning to the YA Fantasy Genre for my NaNoWriMo project. 

Title: Monsters and Mist
Genre: YA Fantasy
Minimum Word Count for NaNoWriMo: 50,000 Words
Word Count I'd be happy with if I fail to meet 50,000: 30,000 Words
Estimated Chapter Count: 15-20

Main Characters:
Andromeda "Drom" Mistsplitter - Aged 18

Thane "Cutter" Cruelseas - Aged 20


How I'm Prepping For NaNoWriMo
- Outlining the chapters and what I want to happen in each chapter.

- Character building for my two main characters. I like to let the other characters develop as I go along.

- Worldbuilding and creation of the mythology of that world. 

- Pinning story ideas on Pinterest. 

- Building a playlist to write to for NaNoWriMo.

It would be great to be able to attend some of the write-ins for NaNoWriMo but the two regions closest to me are 30-40 miles away and I don't have transportation to get to them every weekend. I also don't really know any of the other local writers in the town I live in. On the bright side, I have a lot of writer friends I've met online so I'll have the support of some online friends at least. 

***

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? How are you prepping? Are you a planner or a pantser?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR