Monday, July 9, 2018

Book Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas


Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas
Blurb:
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."

When magic has gone from the world, and a vicious king rules from his throne of glass, an assassin comes to the castle. She does not come to kill, but to win her freedom. If she can defeat twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition to find the greatest assassin in the land, she will become the King's Champion and be released from prison.

Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her.

And a princess from a foreign land will become the one thing Celaena never thought she'd have again: a friend.

But something evil dwells in the castle—and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying, horribly, one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival—and a desperate quest to root out the source of the evil before it destroys her world.

My Review:
The first time I tried to read this book I had to put it down after 34 pages because I disliked Celaena. But as I mentioned in my recent review of The Assassin's Blade, I really think you have to read The Assassin's Blade before you even attempt Throne of Glass because you'll appreciate it more. 

I went from disliking Celaena (but loving her as Aelin in EOS because I have read that one) to understanding her and loving her cunning and fearless spirit in Throne of Glass. I also had a deeper appreciation of Dorian in TOG and met Chaol for the first time and enjoyed him. I loved his banter with Celaena. And Nehemia... ah sweet, wise Nehemia! She was possibly my favorite character. 

I liked the plotting and pace of this book and the vivid description of the Glass Castle. I thought the training and competition scenes as well as when the lesser Champions were killed off and the manner they were killed was well written, although I'm still fuzzy on the description of the ridderak. 

Overall this book has something for everyone. We already know Celaena is a badass female lead and there's plenty of action, adventure, political intrigue, and a dash of mystery and romance to balance everything out. I can honestly say I'm looking forward to reading Crown of Midnight to see what Celaena will get up to now that she's the King's Champion.

My Rating:
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
5 of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read NIGHT OF TERROR